Newquay Rowing Club

Newquay's Fleet

NRC currently has eight traditional Cornish Pilot Gigs held in trust at the club. We also have two fibreglass training gigs and two 15' fibreglass skiffs. Apart from the three old ones, the gigs are all named after the old fish cellars around Newquay. Newquay also provides a home for the Cornish Rowing Association for the Blind's gig the Dall Lewyer which means 'blind pilot' in Cornish.

The remainder of the boats owned by the club are all used for training. The fibreglass gigs 'Concord' and 'Sophia Storm' were new in 2006 and were purchased to take the wear and tear off their wooden counterparts and train new rowers. Concord cellars were over at Porth, and the Sophia Storm was kindly donated to the club by Ray Smith, owner of 'Newquay Backpackers' and is named after his daughter.


The two training skiffs, JRA (John R Adams) and Thomas Reed are named in memory of two major figures from Newquay Rowing Club's past. They can be rowed by one (pair paddles), two or three people and offer the chance for more focused training or even a nice easy row around the bay.


Built in 1812 by William Peters of St Mawes. She is considered to be   the oldest traditional rowing boat still in regular use and is slightly shorter than most gigs being just under 30ft in length with a 4ft 10in beam. She is predominantly red in colour with a white rubbing strake and underside.

Good Intent

Also built by Tom Chudleigh along with the Active, finished in 1975. Again a copy of the Treffry she was rowed from Newquay to Courtmachsherry in Ireland in July 2003. The Good Intent cellars are just to the south of the Fly cellars behind the harbour's North Quay. She is light green with a white rubbing strake and underside.



Built in 1820 also by William Peters and is a foot longer (31ft) than the Newquay as she was built to be a faster gig but has the same beam. She is white with a red rubbing strake and underside.


Built in 1993 by Ralph Bird of Devoran. She was built to replace the 'Unity' which was sold to Yealm Gig Club in Devon in 1992. She is named after the Fly cellars outside the North Quay of the harbour where races are often started if the tide is low. She is black with a yellow rubbing strake and white underside.


Built in 1838 for the Treffry company of Newquay, by William Peters who on completion believed her to be his finest gig yet. All modern gigs are built to the lines of the Treffry being 32ft in length and 4ft 10in beam. She is light blue in colour with white rubbing strake and underside.


Built in 2000 by Ralph BIrd, the Hope is currently the clubs racing gig and is only used for competing against other clubs at away events. The Hope cellars were on Hope Terrace which is halfway down Tower Road. She is pale blue in colour with a varnished top strake. dark blue rubbing strake and underside.



Built in 1974 by Tom Chudleigh on St Marys, Isles of Scilly. She was the first copy of the Treffry and is named after the cellars just above the North Quay of the harbour. She is orange with a white rubbing strake and underside.



Our new gig built by Peter Williams.

The Home of Cornish Pilot Gig Rowing  |  Tel: 01637 876810  |

Website by

Crest Creative Design